To all ye who want to paint with light ...

I should have started this blog many moons ago as I started experiencing the joys of rediscovering the art of photography. But as the saying goes - it's better late, than never!
So, here I am, in the hopes of recording what I learn as I progress from ignorance to enlightenment; about what my eyes can see that my camera can capture; and, what my mind imagines and my camera paints with its capabilities.

Please feel free to add any comments and share your wisdom (tips or tricks) that you have picked up along the way.

And do check out my How-To and Birding pages as well.


Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 37 - Real Lime

Relaxed Sunday - just the way I like it!  Although, there was a lot of cleaning up to do from last night's dinner, I had a ton of leftovers that saved me cooking time today.  So, I took that time to try another subject for my speed photography series - this time getting a splash from dropping a lime into water.  I wanted to try and alter the viscosity of the water, but then felt lazy, as it would mean additional clean-ups from the mess I would be making.  So, that's for another day and another time.

However, I did partially bust the common belief that the 18-55 mm kit lens is really no good at all.  I read in quite a few places that when buying a good camera, you should forego the kit lens, buy only the body and get a different lens simply because the kit lens is good for nothing.  When I tried my droplets shots for the first time, I had believed that as well.  But as I'm getting more time and experience with this, I'm realizing that's not true at all.  In fact, the kit lens is good for quite a few things.  My food photos, for instance, are often taken with the kit lens, since that allows me to get really close to the food.  And, most of these shots from today are taken with the kit lens.  Not bad at all!

Just to show what I mean, the first two shots here were taken using the kit lens, and the third one was taken with my 55-250 mm zoom lens.  You be the judge and tell me what you think is different.  My inexperienced eyes don't show any and I'm not sure what I could have done differently with either lens, besides using different props.








A few more photos are available on my Flickr photos.

2 comments: