To all ye who want to paint with light ...

I should have started this blog many moons ago as I started experiencing the joys of rediscovering the art of photography. But as the saying goes - it's better late, than never!
So, here I am, in the hopes of recording what I learn as I progress from ignorance to enlightenment; about what my eyes can see that my camera can capture; and, what my mind imagines and my camera paints with its capabilities.

Please feel free to add any comments and share your wisdom (tips or tricks) that you have picked up along the way.

And do check out my How-To and Birding pages as well.


Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 34 - Din-din

I now have a good excuse for cooking up all the good stuff - I'm doing a trial run for my cooking lessons, hee hee!  

My first batch of students have already picked their menu so I did a dry run for Mattar Paneer (Indian cottage cheese cooked with green peas and other good stuff).  Not wanting to eat rice, I made the complicated Indian bread called Lachha Paratha.  It's really more tedious than complicated and definitely not something I'd like to make frequently.  So, we really enjoyed our din-din and have enough leftovers for two more meals!  Yay!  No cooking tomorrow!










2 comments:

  1. Interesting idea — I think the third shot is the most successful in terms of composition. I like the elephants.

    However, the shots have widely-varying colour temperatures. The first is yellowish, the second is pinkish, and the third is verging on magenta. This is probably the result of the camera's auto-WB trying to make sense of the scene. As the composition changes, so does the WB.

    One thing I've noticed about food photography is that the most appealing shots tend to use a strong rim light from the side or behind. This creates appealing highlights along the edges of fruits and veggies, ceramics, and anything that's in a sauce.

    Here's an example I googled:

    http://hdrgolf.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/margaritas.jpg

    Of course, daylight always works wonders:

    http://veganyumyum.com/2008/09/food-photography-for-bloggers/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for your feedback. I see what you're seeing now - the tints and shades. I was experimenting with the different white balances and also the little grid that we have for setting the blue & magenta on the camera (I forget what it's called now). But I agree with you about the composition - I like the last the best!

    Thanks so much for the link! I see it's an excellent resource and I will have to rely on it heavily as I move towards food photography for my cooking project.

    Greatly appreciate your time & valuable inputs!

    ReplyDelete