To all ye who want to paint with light ...

I should have started this blog many moons ago as I started experiencing the joys of rediscovering the art of photography. But as the saying goes - it's better late, than never!
So, here I am, in the hopes of recording what I learn as I progress from ignorance to enlightenment; about what my eyes can see that my camera can capture; and, what my mind imagines and my camera paints with its capabilities.

Please feel free to add any comments and share your wisdom (tips or tricks) that you have picked up along the way.

And do check out my How-To and Birding pages as well.


Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 353 - Foggedaboutit!

I was supposed to make a day trip to Ottawa with a friend to see the annual tulip festival.  But the Rain God had other plans as he unleashed the crappiest weather known to man - in this case, two women, all eager to see the tulips!

Anyway, we obviously cancelled, but went out driving around the city looking for a macro lens for my friend and then I saw the fog-enveloped downtown skyline and knew I had to somehow get a shot.  It was pouring buckets, and we couldn't find any parking at the right places, so we drove up to the Plateau and found the fog so thick, you couldn't see the city down below, like is usual on a clear day or night.

I was hellbent on taking a few shots, but my heart was filled with trepidation as my lenses weren't weather-sealed, which meant I could potentially ruin them in the rain.  But I still decided to take a chance, and my friend very sweetly held the umbrella over the camera while I fired off a few quick ones.

When we got back into her car, we were soaked, and so were our cameras.  I was happiest with the tree shot, which looked good in colour as well, but there wasn't much colour to begin with, so I turned it into b&w.

Lesson of the day:  Remember to carry a towel or a rag to wipe down your camera if you expose it to moisture!  And in the process, improve your memory, so you can remember your lesson! :(

Thick fog rolling in

The city beyond was totally obliterated by the thick fog and sheets of rain

3 comments:

  1. Hi Toni. This photos really stayed in my mind...I wish e were there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! sound like you had a fun weekend. All your pictures are very good this week

    I had fog too today. Managed to get one decent picture of a tree with fog. Except I did it out my bedroom window.

    www.thequietone.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot, Day! You could definitely come over! :)

    @Cathy: I am glad for good friends - although it didn't go the way I planned it, it was nice! Trees are nice subjects in the fog, I'm sure you got a great shot!

    ReplyDelete