To all ye who want to paint with light ...

I should have started this blog many moons ago as I started experiencing the joys of rediscovering the art of photography. But as the saying goes - it's better late, than never!
So, here I am, in the hopes of recording what I learn as I progress from ignorance to enlightenment; about what my eyes can see that my camera can capture; and, what my mind imagines and my camera paints with its capabilities.

Please feel free to add any comments and share your wisdom (tips or tricks) that you have picked up along the way.

And do check out my How-To and Birding pages as well.


Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 295 - Tired!

This was my second attempt at doing self portraits - the last time was over 2 years ago when I wanted to take a profile picture of myself for posting to Flickr and Facebook.  I had absolutely no idea how to do it back then and I didn't have adequate lighting gear either.  This time was fortunately a much better set-up.

I put my camera on the tripod, and since I'm mostly un-photogenic, I wanted to blur myself out of the shot. The dining area was very, very dark today as it was completely grey and gloomy outside, and therefore I had to use a bit of fill flash, both on and off camera.  The off camera flash was placed to camera right, about 60 deg in front of the tea cup, powered down to 1/32, and zoomed to 85 mm (if I remember correctly).  The on-camera flash was powered down - 2 stops (I used the pop up flash).

I put the camera on the 10 sec. timer and quickly went and took up my position.  I took about 15 shots, this one was the best.

IMG_2677.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I like it, it's hard to do self portrait with the camera. I tried it and I was like, I don't look like that!

    www.thequietone.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. a li'l bit of the face would have given a bit more character to the pic i think ... not the whole face ... may be a view of the closed eyes ...or the hair falling on the face of which nothing is seen in particular ...nice composition though ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've tried this kind of shot before and it's hard especially if you use the auto focus. sometimes, it'll create its own focus even if you've set it already. i guess it would have helped and saved you time if you a remote shutter release. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Cathy: I agree with you! I didn't even think I'd come out with something that would come close to liking.
    @Susmita: I had tried showing a bit of face, but it just didn't turn out well!
    @Noreen: I only have a cable release .. I sure need to get a remote release!

    ReplyDelete