To all ye who want to paint with light ...

I should have started this blog many moons ago as I started experiencing the joys of rediscovering the art of photography. But as the saying goes - it's better late, than never!
So, here I am, in the hopes of recording what I learn as I progress from ignorance to enlightenment; about what my eyes can see that my camera can capture; and, what my mind imagines and my camera paints with its capabilities.

Please feel free to add any comments and share your wisdom (tips or tricks) that you have picked up along the way.

And do check out my How-To and Birding pages as well.


Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 291 - Snow Day!

We had a huge snowstorm and I think we received 30+ centimetres of snow, although the Eastern Townships receive about 70 centimetres today.  Needless to say, I worked from home, and also let my son stay home from school.

I was restless as I dialled into one meeting after another - I could hear a woodpecker outside my window, but couldn't somehow tear myself away from the phone or computer to see where it was.  When finally the meetings were over, I grabbed my coat and camera (which I now keep right next to the balcony door), and stepped out on the balcony.

I was faced with this pigeon that posed for me for 3 shots and later took off into the trees; and then I saw the woodpecker.

Seeking Shelter from the Snowstorm

See How I Flap My Wings

I got a few shots, but the one that could have turned out the most interesting was the one that turned out not so good.  I loved the little pecking action here, where Mr. Woodie had torn into the bark of the tree and pecked out a neat little cavity for himself.

'Pecker

I blame the high ISO and low light conditions.  I dialled up a high shutter speed and was shooting moderately wide open as I knew I would need every ray of light I could possibly let into the camera, but needed a little larger DoF to cover the bird as well.

This last shot was well planned and timed. I waited for her to pass between these two trees, so I could get the framing.  The framing adds some definition to the stark white snow, and gives an impression that this little girl isn't out in the wide open in this unforgiving weather.  This was the only shot I took of her wading home through the snow and I have to say I really like it.  Gotta love the colours in the snow, too!

IMG_2565.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Again a set of lovely pics. Love the last pic the most :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great focus on the first photo...love the color on the feathers as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Swati: Thanks a lot! I like the last one a lot as well, but my fave was the first one.

    @Noreen: Thanks! They're such underrated birds, aren't they? I love their colours!

    ReplyDelete