To all ye who want to paint with light ...

I should have started this blog many moons ago as I started experiencing the joys of rediscovering the art of photography. But as the saying goes - it's better late, than never!
So, here I am, in the hopes of recording what I learn as I progress from ignorance to enlightenment; about what my eyes can see that my camera can capture; and, what my mind imagines and my camera paints with its capabilities.

Please feel free to add any comments and share your wisdom (tips or tricks) that you have picked up along the way.

And do check out my How-To and Birding pages as well.


Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 206 - Week of Lights - Rushing

I was rushing to post before midnight, so I did a few quick shots.  But I was still too late.  Ah, well!

Taken in a dark kitchen, light source is my iPod Lights App held in front of subject, at camera top.  I tried a couple of shots using aperture priority, but I was getting a far slower shutter speed than I wanted, causing overexposure.

So, I switched to Manual mode and set the shutter speed and aperture and got this shot.  This shot has minimal processing - I stepped up the vibrancy a bit, and that's all I did.  I wanted the lines to be brighter, but overexposing it a bit didn't yield the desired results.  I guess I will need to find another way to do this.  This goes on my list to try again in the future.

90 mm, f/4.5, 3.2s, ISO 400, AWB, Manual Mode

4 comments:

  1. You have such a creative mind, Toni!! and that iphone light app really works well!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Noreen! I'm just trying to keep myself busy while I wait for the return of Spring and summer! ;)

    Did you try the app?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really interesting composition. I like it a lot.

    Suggestion for your next try: Go for a longer exposure — maybe six seconds — but this time try moving your iPod light source forward and backward to wrap the light around the subject. You'll have to be careful not to get any reflections of the light on the glass table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jim. And that's exactly what I did with the light, because the light wasn't strong enough to colour the rear tines. Longer exposure would be something to try on Manual next time.

    ReplyDelete