To all ye who want to paint with light ...

I should have started this blog many moons ago as I started experiencing the joys of rediscovering the art of photography. But as the saying goes - it's better late, than never!
So, here I am, in the hopes of recording what I learn as I progress from ignorance to enlightenment; about what my eyes can see that my camera can capture; and, what my mind imagines and my camera paints with its capabilities.

Please feel free to add any comments and share your wisdom (tips or tricks) that you have picked up along the way.

And do check out my How-To and Birding pages as well.


Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 267 - Relearning the Alphabet - The Letter "K"

Ok!  This is it - the last one of the lot!  I've relearned my alphabet and I hope I've been able to jog your memory as well in the process! :o)

"K" for Kiwi

I'm afraid I wasn't able to avoid doing something quite as obvious as this, but those who have been following my blog know that right now I'm really hard-pressed for time, and ideas!  I'm consumed by my cooking classes, and although I don't have a class this weekend, I have friends coming from out of town.  Therefore, it's going to be a really busy weekend, preceded by a very hectic week.

Without rambling too much (I have to take care of the routine chores of cleaning right about now), let me tell you how I set this up.

I set up both my flashes on either side of the fruit, and had my son assist me with holding up the fruit (God bless him for his kindness! ;-)).  I set the zoom on the flash to 85 mm, and powered the flash down to 1/32.  I picked a fast shutter at 1/180s because I didn't want the clutter in the background to show up as I'd set the aperture to f/22.  Normally, the smaller the aperture, the larger the DoF.  But in this case, both a small aperture and fast shutter worked in my favour and darkened the background completely.  And just for the record, I used my 90 mm macro lens for this, although this wasn't a macro shot, but I wanted it to have a shallow DoF despite a small aperture.

3 comments: