To all ye who want to paint with light ...

I should have started this blog many moons ago as I started experiencing the joys of rediscovering the art of photography. But as the saying goes - it's better late, than never!
So, here I am, in the hopes of recording what I learn as I progress from ignorance to enlightenment; about what my eyes can see that my camera can capture; and, what my mind imagines and my camera paints with its capabilities.

Please feel free to add any comments and share your wisdom (tips or tricks) that you have picked up along the way.

And do check out my How-To and Birding pages as well.


Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 174 - Blue

I had been nurturing this idea of doing a shoot with pencil shavings and then I finally had the opportunity to do that today.  I borrowed my son's coloured pencils and had a play with them.

I started off with ambient light and then experimented with bounced flash and then fill-flash.  I had decided to pick the best shots without considering the type of lighting I had used.  And strangely, I picked every shot, barring one, that was shot with only ambient light.  (I looked at the EXIF data only after I'd picked the shots for today's post).

Moral of the story: I still have a very long way to go before I'm able to use flash with satisfactory results.

90mm, Aperture Priority, no flash, ISO 200, 0.4s, f/9.0

90 mm, Aperture Priority, Flashed at -2 stops, external flash powered at 1/8, held above camera, IS0 200, 0.6s, f/20.0 

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what it is about it, but I LOVE that first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never use my flash on my camera. Just never really like unless I want a very strange picture.

    You ask about more poems, right now I'm busy with capturing the fall colors. However next time you go to my blog. On the left side under the calender there's categories area. You'll see Poetry, click on that and that will show you all the posts that deals with poetry. Most of them have poems, the others I just talk about poetry.

    That should you keep you busy until I post the new ones.

    www.thequietone.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kristy: Thanks! I think it's the ambient light in the first one. ;-)

    @Cathy: I'll definitely check out the poetry section on your blog. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete