To all ye who want to paint with light ...

I should have started this blog many moons ago as I started experiencing the joys of rediscovering the art of photography. But as the saying goes - it's better late, than never!
So, here I am, in the hopes of recording what I learn as I progress from ignorance to enlightenment; about what my eyes can see that my camera can capture; and, what my mind imagines and my camera paints with its capabilities.

Please feel free to add any comments and share your wisdom (tips or tricks) that you have picked up along the way.

And do check out my How-To and Birding pages as well.


Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 173 - Another shot at flash photography

The more I play with the flash, the more it scares me!  I keep telling myself that I need to just play and make friends with it, but I seem to be developing an intense fear/mental block for it - just like I did for math in school.  What's going to become of me! :(  What's winter without a few flashes of light?

I have adopted a new mantra - I can only keep practising and wrap my head around it.  Maybe someday, some day, I will get it, after all.

I had this image in my mind this evening when I stumbled upon my son's sudoku board and counters.  I had planned to use the overhead light and then use fill-flash.  But I did learn something though - my YN460 for some weird reason, flashes optimally when it's powered down to about 1/8.  When I need full power, it somehow drops off at the back!  That's kinda strange, or I am missing something, somewhere.

Anyhoo, I tried different power levels, with the overhead light and without it.   I honestly think that I prefer the images with the tungsten glow in it, rather than with the flash.  In fact, the one with the fill-flash is possibly one of the better shots.  Out of the 60 odd shots I had, I came down to keeping about 15 just so I could study the settings later.  But the ones I handpicked for this post were 4 - just for records.

 This first one is taken only with the overhead light.  I couldn't get rid of the beige colour cast and it's really irking me.   55mm, f/36.0, 10.0s,  ISO 100, Aperture Priority, no flash.

This one is SOOC - no overhead light 
55 mm, 1/200s, f/16.0, Manual exposure, pop-up flash at +2/3 stops, ISO 100,  external flash at 1/8 power, above camera to right of frame

SOOC - overhead light with fill-in flash
1.0s, f/29.0, EV -1, pop-up flash +2/3 stop, ISO 200, Aperture Priority, external flash at 1/8 power held just above camera about 2 ft. above the subject

Selenium Filter applied in LR3 - lit with overhead light only
55 mm, 1.6s, f/13.0, ISO100, Aperture Priority

I'm glad I could get rid of the colour cast in this last one!  Phew!



No comments:

Post a Comment