To all ye who want to paint with light ...

I should have started this blog many moons ago as I started experiencing the joys of rediscovering the art of photography. But as the saying goes - it's better late, than never!
So, here I am, in the hopes of recording what I learn as I progress from ignorance to enlightenment; about what my eyes can see that my camera can capture; and, what my mind imagines and my camera paints with its capabilities.

Please feel free to add any comments and share your wisdom (tips or tricks) that you have picked up along the way.

And do check out my How-To and Birding pages as well.


Friday, December 10, 2010

Day 219 - Party time

We had a team celebration at work today.  There was great food and beer and wine to celebrate our success with a project we had been working on.

I brought my camera to the office, but when I had looked at the lighting situation yesterday, I knew I would have a huge challenge with the overhead recessed lighting, the very low ceiling that wasn't even white and then a couple of fluorescent lights near the sink; and then my flash, because I would definitely need to use my flash!  Well, the spelling of disaster became clearer as I kept getting shot after shot of crazy orange and green lights, despite the CWB.  

I hadn't bothered with my YN460 flash as I knew it wasn't powerful enough to light the entire venue, and I couldn't put it on camera because I had been warned not to.   I would have done it still, but the consideration that I wouldn't want to fry my camera's circuit just before going on a trip, stopped me cold.

I tried playing with a little bit later, once I more or less got all the shots I could possibly get, but as I have maintained, I wasn't able to squeeze out enough light (this is a perpetual problem) by bouncing it off the ceiling.  This was the first time I felt frustrated enough to simply want to pitch it into the trash can!  But anyway, I need to have a little bit more patience so I can use it for my experiments at home, at least.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't like to post any of the photos here of the people at the party, so I decided to post a shot of a plate of food someone left lying around.

55 mm, f/8, 1/30s, ISO 400

No comments:

Post a Comment