To all ye who want to paint with light ...

I should have started this blog many moons ago as I started experiencing the joys of rediscovering the art of photography. But as the saying goes - it's better late, than never!
So, here I am, in the hopes of recording what I learn as I progress from ignorance to enlightenment; about what my eyes can see that my camera can capture; and, what my mind imagines and my camera paints with its capabilities.

Please feel free to add any comments and share your wisdom (tips or tricks) that you have picked up along the way.

And do check out my How-To and Birding pages as well.


Saturday, August 28, 2010

Day 137 - Painting with light

Yes!  I did just that!  I painted the rock in the foreground with a flashlight on a long exposure on the third and fourth shots.

I went out close to 10:00 pm when I saw a nice round moon from my kitchen window.  But Lady Luck rarely smiles upon me at these times.  By the time I got to my chosen spot on the island, the moon decided to play peekaboo.  I barely had time to set up my equipment and I saw the reflection of the moonlight vanishing from the river's surface.  I waited around for a little bit longer, but I was out of luck, tired and hungry since I hadn't even had the chance to make dinner.

The first shot actually shows the last traces of the reflected moonlight just beside the rock in the foreground.  (These shots are best viewed large - just click on them to enlarge).

I processed the white balance a little bit differently for each of the shots below and I'd really love to know which one you liked most.  


In the shots below, the moon went behind the clouds and stayed there for the entire duration of 20 minutes that I waited.  These shots have the rock painted over with the flashlight.


No comments:

Post a Comment