To all ye who want to paint with light ...

I should have started this blog many moons ago as I started experiencing the joys of rediscovering the art of photography. But as the saying goes - it's better late, than never!
So, here I am, in the hopes of recording what I learn as I progress from ignorance to enlightenment; about what my eyes can see that my camera can capture; and, what my mind imagines and my camera paints with its capabilities.

Please feel free to add any comments and share your wisdom (tips or tricks) that you have picked up along the way.

And do check out my How-To and Birding pages as well.


Saturday, June 5, 2010

Day 83 - Dusk descends by the St. Lawrence River

I finally got to see the Baltimore Oriole that had been eluding me of late.  And not only did I see the male, but the female as well.  I didn't get very good shots since I had to use a very high ISO to get a half-quick shutter speed and also, these birds generally sit high up on trees.  So, a 250 mm lens is definitely inadequate.

The female Baltimore Oriole is more subdued in colour than her male counterpart

The male has much brighter plumage.  I'm just so grateful to him for sitting in one spot long enough for me to adjust, aim and shoot.  These birds are extremely hyperactive and don't stop for more than a couple of seconds on a branch.  I think their level of activity comes down a couple of notches in the evening. 
;-)

I also spent a considerable amount of time near the birdhouse where some Purple Martins and house sparrows are nesting and peacefully coexisting.  Here are a few shots from yesterday and today.





No comments:

Post a Comment